Tuesday 30 October 2012

Selling yourself, unassessed talks and the great Randy Pausch

Dear all,

After my exertions on Sunday in Birmingham at the Seve Day golf tournament, here is a quick recap of what we have been doing over the last couple of sessions.

Yesterday and today we had time for you to look at prepping your unassessed talk and there are some really interesting choices coming our way, so bravo for that.

I also gave a short overview of how to use Powerpoint, which is on the D2L - please try to keep your slides tidy, free of mistakes and also uncluttered. This goes a long way. No Mr. Bean antics please!

We also looked at the 'Selling Yourself' TV show this morning (Tuesday) where we critiqued five eager candidates who wanted to enter the world of advertising (which is where I would most probably be now had somebody not tapped into my (unknown to me) skills for teaching).

Mo, Claire, Alex, Milli and Sarah all battled hard to get the ideal job and we looked at structure, appearance, clarity of voice, questions and answers amongst lots of other things. I really enjoyed your input this morning and made the first part of the class particularly effective.

I also mentioned the work of Professor Randy Pausch as somebody who I have a lot of admiration for. More information about Pausch can be found on the end slide of the 'effective and ineffective oral presentation delivery' slides from last Tuesday (on the D2L).

Here is the talk and although it is long, I think really worth a listen to: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ji5_MqicxSo



As always, let me know your thoughts on any of the above!

Cheers,

Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment